If you’re constantly scratching your head and often feeling embarrassed at a public place or social gatherings, then you would know how annoying lice infestation is. It can be bothersome for the person dealing with it and also for the people around. Head lice are a tiny parasite that lives on the scalp and feeds on the blood.
It is quite common and can happen to anyone. Head lice are also contagious, and following activities can get you infected with it:
- Playing together in school.
- Social gatherings.
- Having a sleepover.
- Sharing clothes, personal care items like brushes and combs of the infected person.
- Laying on the same bed as of the infected person.
Two most common symptoms of lice infestation are itching on the head and bumps on the scalp. Since lice produce quickly, it is better to get rid of them in few days. Combing the hairs to remove them is an option, but can be long and tiring one.
Thankfully, there are many home remedies that can effectively deal with this problem. They are:
1. Garlic And Lime Juice
Garlic has a strong and pungent smell that can suffocate lice and ultimately kill them.
- Take 10 garlic cloves and grind them into a fine paste and mix 2 to 3 teaspoons of lime juice in it.
- Apply the mixture on the scalp and leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Then rinse off the hair properly with hot water.
- One can repeat this remedy weekly for around one to two months.
2. Baby Oil
- This remedy needs ingredient such as baby oil, laundry detergent and water.
- Apply baby oil to your scalp and hair. Massage it well and leave it overnight.
- Next day, comb the hairs slowly. Baby oil is also known to suffocate the lice; hence the lice will start falling off from the head.
- Use laundry detergent to rinse the hair. Take care that the liquid doesn’t get in eyes, ears or mouth.
3. Olive Oil
Olive oil makes hair smooth and slippery and lets the lice hair fall.
- Apply any olive oil on your hair before going to bed. Cover your head with shower cap or towel and leave it overnight.
- Next morning, comb the hair slowly and then wash off the hair with herbal shampoo.
- One can repeat this remedy once in a week to get best results.
Salt is a natural antiseptic, and it can be used to eradicate head lice.
- Take one-quarter cup of salt and one-quarter of vinegar and mix them well thoroughly.
- Put this solution in a spray bottle and spray it over the scalp and hair. Be careful with your eyes and ears.
- Cover your hair with a shower cap and leave it for about two hours.
- Wash it off with shampoo and apply conditioner.
- Once can repeat it twice or thrice a week.
5. Petroleum Jelly
Petroleum jelly is again slippery, and it can let head lice fall off.
- Apply a good amount of petroleum jelly on the scalp.
- Cover it with shower cap or towel until morning.
- Apply some baby oil on the comb and use the same to comb off the lice along with jelly.
- Wash your hair properly to ensure there is no jelly left in the hair.
- Repeat several nights in a row.
6. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil is a natural insecticide. Never apply it directly to the scalp.
- Take one teaspoon of tea tree oil, two tablespoons of shampoo and three tablespoons of coconut or olive oil.
- Apply the solution gently through the hair and cover it with shower cap or towel.
- Let it rest for about half an hour and then rinse off properly with water.
- Comb your hair when they are wet to remove more lice.
7. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is lubricating in nature. It will prevent the lice from moving around freely and sticking to the hairs.
- Warm up the coconut oil a bit and apply it well on the scalp. Massage it if you want and cover with a shower cap or towel.
- Let it rest for two hours and then comb off the head lice from the hair using a nit comb.
- Wash your hair with shampoo and apply conditioner as usual.
- You can repeat this process and this time leave the coconut oil overnight.
- Repeat this process every night or twice a week until results.
Vinegar contains acetic acid which loosens up the strong bond between the nits and the hair. This inexpensive method makes it easy to remove adult lice as well as nits.
- Take equal amount of water and vinegar. Mix them thoroughly.
- Part your hair properly and apply the solution to the scalp.
- Wrap a towel around the head for about 30 minutes or an hour.
- Next, comb your hair to remove the lice. Rinse the hair with shampoo.
- You can repeat this until best results.
9. Sesame Seed Oil
Sesame seed oil has multiple properties such as antibacterial, antifungal and natural insecticide properties. It is a great option to solve the problem of head lice.
- Take ¼ cup of sesame seed oil, 1/8th cup of neem oil, 1 teaspoon of tea tree oil and ½ teaspoon of rosemary essential oil and about 10 drops of lavender essential oil.
- Firstly, rinse your hair with apple cider vinegar and let it dry.
- Mix all the oils and apply it to your scalp as the second step.
- Cover it with a shower cap or towel and leave it overnight.
- Next morning, comb off the hair to remove dead lice and shampoo as usual.
- You can repeat this treatment once or twice a week.
The oil content in mayonnaise has viscosity properties that can suffocate the lice.
- Take full-fat mayonnaise and apply it on your scalp.
- Cover your head with a shower cap or towel and leave it on overnight.
- Next morning, shampoo your hair first and then comb off the lice from the head.
- You can repeat this until you get best results.
11. Listerine (Mouth Wash)
Listerine has eucalyptus and thymol content. Both of them are effective in killing head lice.
- Dab Listerine on your hair and scalp using a cotton ball.
- Cover it with a shower cap and let it sit for about two hours.
- Next, rinse your hair with shampoo and use a comb to remove the dead lice.
- You can repeat this daily until best results.
12. Baking Soda
Baking soda can soothe your itchy scalp. When mixed with conditioner it can help in killing the head lice by restricting their respiratory system.
- Take 1 teaspoon of baking soda and 3 tablespoons of conditioner. Mix them into a fine paste.
- Apply this paste to your scalp properly.
- Start combing your hair by focusing on small sections.
- Rub the comb on a paper towel after each comb.
- You’ll see all the lice being removed from the head slowly.
- You can repeat this twice in a day for quick results.
All these remedies will help you get rid of those nasty lice. You just need to be patient and diligent while doing them.